[Imc-radio] from SandraA & DaveB

Sandra Ahten spiritofsandra at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 27 11:41:45 CDT 2005

Sandra writes:

Things have not been as disharmonious between Dave and I – as apparently I
gave in the impression in my email. The problem has not been between Dave
and I. The problem has been in lack of volunteers producing IMCRN - -and
hence the lack of meetings and lack of a working group that could build
consensus and get issues resolved.

Given that WEFT had to have a decision about whether we were going to keep
producing, and that the WEFT PC had concerns about the quality of the show –
we had to give them an answer. They were deciding this week on how to spend
CPB money, which is what our stipend came from.

I did not see how the answer could be “yes” we are going to continue
producing, given the fact that we were NOT producing the show that we had
proposed. (Namely it was not collectively produced and sometimes not locally
produced).This was not the fault of Dave. And I apologize for indication
that I may have given that I blamed him for it.

I have no problem with Dave getting some pay for production… if he brings it
to a working group and that is what the group decides. As I produced many
many of the episodes in the past year, I feel that I could attend that
meeting and have my voice heard as an equal with any one else. I told Dave
that I thought Steering could be that group, since there is no working radio
group. I do think that it should be announced in advance as part of the
agenda so that people have a chance to attend and have their voice heard.

I did bring this issue to steering on two different occasions, but only as a
concern. I also called for a special meeting by email. In retrospect I
should have announced that it was going to be on the agenda at steering and
formally made my proposal (to ask WEFT for a hiatus). I intended to do this
and simply ran out of time. I apologize for that.

I don’t want to give the impression that Dave and I didn't’t work together
well or that things are ending poorly between us. I think there has been
some miscommunications, but I truly value his work and enjoyed the months
and months that we co-produced IMCRN. I think together we made a positive
impact in the community.

I am sending this in the hopes that folks can steer clear of the idea that
the IMC is riddled in disharmony. We are moving ahead amiably on many fronts
even while we, as humans, stumble around being less than perfect. It has
been suggested to me that we need to have a little bit more fun. I agree.
Party on Wayne. Party on Garth.
Sandra
_________________________
Dave writes:

Indy media is a difficult avenue of expression regardless of the space or
place in which it occurs.  I feel I received exposure to an experimental
medium while working on the IMC Radio News.  To quote Marshal Mcluhan, "The
medium is the message."

The work Sandra did to get the county board to turn down the over $130,000
agreement with Evercom was nothing but exhausting.  I would only ask that
when the new jail is built, the prisoners are treated with basic human
dignity regardless of their frame of mind.

I hope that I can go on to do better work and continue to create awareness
of issues not normally covered by the press.

Dave