[Imc-tech] about our new computers.

Paul Riismandel p-riism at uiuc.edu
Sun Dec 31 19:30:58 CST 2000

The A/V Mac will actually do a decent job for simple audio editing for
broadcast.  We've used a few at my lab at the U of I for years for simple
cut and paste audio NLE.  The audio I/O is a notch or two above most sound
cards, especially because it uses RCA plugs rather than 1/8" phone jacks. I
have software that'll make it a decent audio workstation.  I think it'll be
useful for producing short radio/webcast pieces, especially since Brian's
machine may be under fairly high demand for more complex tasks.  I might be
able to scare up some extra memory for it, too.

The PC looks OK, too.  I have an overclocked 486 (with an AMD 5x86 running
at around 166 Mhz) with 48 MB of memory, 1 GB HD & 33K modem sitting in a
closet, but the power supply is kind of trashed (the fan doesn't work), so
it may be more useful for parts in combo with the PC Jim donated.  It could
make a nice linux server when/if we get cable/dsl/isdn.  Comments?

--Paul