[Imc-tech] about our new computers.

Sascha Meinrath meinrath at students.uiuc.edu
Sun Dec 31 16:53:53 CST 2000

jim sent this to me and i thought i should forward it to our techies.

--sascha

To: Sascha Meinrath <meinrath at students.uiuc.edu>
Subject: about the computers

Sorry I didn't have time to stick around for the meeting. The space looks
great. Here's a little more info about the computers I've donated to the
IMC. As I mentioned, I knocked them together and dusted them off for use in
the Greens office, and they've been taking up space since then, so I hope
they'll be of service. They're basically ready to plug in and use.

The Mac is a 6100AV with a 66 mhz processor, a 2x CD-ROM, a 2 gig internal
scsi drive and an external scsi drive that I think is 700 mb or so. There's
32 mb of RAM. I think it's running OS 8.6. There's also an external 33mbps
Supra modem with it, and a 14-inch color Mac monitor. This is an old NuBus
powerPC, without a PCI slot, so there's not much to be done for modernizing
it. (they do make 'G3-equivalent' add-in boards for NuBus that run up to
300 mhz, but those don't handle multimedia well). It can be networked with
the addition of a $30 or so 'AAUI-to-Ethernet transceiver' dongle, which I
don't have. The "AV" in the name refers to a NuBus card that's in it for
very basic video digitizing (RCA and S-Video ports) - I don't think any
software's installed for that (though maybe Mac's basic video player is),
and in any event I don't think it'll even record audio, so that feature's
kind of useless. As with any Mac of its vintage, it's got serial and scsi
ports - no USB or firewire.

The PC is a Pentium 133, also with 32 mb RAM (4 8-mb simms; all slots
filled) and a 2x or 4x CD-ROM. The drive is about 1.2 gig. It's running
Win98SE. MS Office 2000 is installed on it, along with Eudora and Netscape,
so there's only about 700 mb free space. There are a couple free PCI and
ISA slots; the video and audio cards are very basic ones, the $15 variety
and kind of old. There's no modem or network card in it, but either could
be added for just a few bucks. The 15-inch 'Zeos' SVGA monitor is a
rebranded CTX, I think - again, real basic stuff. If you prefer, this ought
to run just fine as a Linux machine too, assuming the audio and video cards
are supported. It's got yer basic serial and parallel ports; it'd be
possible to add USB or firewire with PCI cards.

These would've been state of the art hardware 5 or 6 years ago - though
they came to me much later than that via the local student newsgroups.
They're probably worth about $125-$150 apiece. I think you'll find both of
these pretty dependable for word processing, web access (either thru a
modem or thru a high-bandwidth connection if you go for DSL or cable),
basic databasing, fairly simple Photoshop work, etc. They wouldn't be much
use as multimedia servers or AV digitizing machines, though, no matter what
you added to them.

The Epson inkjet printer works with both Macs and PCs; the bad news is that
print quality is crappy both in black and color. I think both computers
have drivers for the Epson installed (though the Mac may not, come to think
of it - they're available on the web if not, or I may have a disk lying
around). Also, the Mac printer cable should work fine but the PC cable may
not be bi-directional, so it may not work. If not, I might have another
better one lying around, as well as 1 or 2 off-brand replacement ink
cartridges.

Let me know if you have questions.

Jim