[Imc-tech] imc-gw status

Zachary C. Miller wolfgang at wolfgang.groogroo.com
Thu Dec 13 00:55:05 CST 2001

imc-gw's root password has been updated to something the right people
actually know.

imc-gw is now on the UPS.

Just for Clint's information, booting into single user mode didn't cut
it. Debian's version of init (I'm assuming its init) asks for the root
password before entering single user mode, there may well be a way to
configure that.

I used the debian rescue and root disks to boot up to a root prompt
then did "mount /dev/hda4 /mnt; cd /mnt/etc; ae shadow" and deleted
the root password. Then pop the floppy and reboot and login without a
password and run "passwd root" and set it. Whee.

I also did security updates (as root, "apt-get update; apt-get
upgrade"). I cleared up some disk space to make future kernel compiles
easier but then I realized there was no need for a kernel compile at
this time.

I also cleaned up the wiring in the network closet and I moved the old
10Mbps hub into storage in the back room.

Share and enjoy.