[Imc-tech] Article gone, take 3

Zachary C.Miller wolfgang at wolfgang.groogroo.com
Sat Feb 10 17:48:27 CST 2001

> Zach-thanks for looking into this for me.  Don't put this at the top of
> your list of things to do, but I would appreciate your checking up on
> this.  I thought maybe someone on the tech committee tried to correct the
> problem I had emailed ya'll about earlier (that I couldn't get his
> written lecture posted) and just messed up.

well it concerns me a lot so I am putting it at the top of my list,
there are possible security implications.

I have found that your article, as far as I can tell, has simply
disappeared from our database BUT that the command to remove it is not
in our logs. I can't figure out why.

I did notice that we had the default password set for story
administration so that anyone who was an "insider" in the IMC universe
could come in and mess with our stories if they wanted but I checked
the logs and no one has ever accessed the story administration scripts
(I hadn't accessed them because I didn't know they existed until now).

I have changed the password to a secure random string since we don't
currently use that feature. In the future I will change it to
something we can share but keep secret.

I am stumped.

I checked and story id's 120, 122, and 140 are the only story id's
that are missing. It would be interesting to know what 120 and 122
were.

I will set up a nightly backup job tonight so that we have database
backups made every night so if we lose stuff in the future we can get
it back.

I will start monitoring for more "missing" ids and see what is
disappearing when and maybe we can track it down.

IMSA 1995 - UIUC 2000 - Just Another Leftist Muppet
Ya Basta! - http://www.greens.org