[Imc-tech] film scanner update

Joe Futrelle futrelle at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Sat Jan 27 12:01:26 CST 2001

Well, I recevied the film scanner and it was dead on arrival.
Checking the net for reviews of this unit (Pacific Image PrimeFilm
1800) I found many horror stories of poor performance and breakdowns,
from which I concluded that it's a lemon and sent it back for a
refund rather than an exchange.

It's the only film scanner in the <$400 price range, so unfortunately
I can't afford to buy a better one.  I'm going to wait to buy until a
reputable mfg like Nikon or HP comes out with a film scanner in the
~$200 price range.  Sorry it didn't work out. :(

There are local labs that scan film with a 1-day turnaround and high
quality standards.  I'm using Better Image, but they're a little
expensive ($15 per roll for a medium-resolution photo CD).

--
Joe Futrelle