[Imc-tech] ftp and other issues

Zachary C. Miller wolfgang at wolfgang.groogroo.com
Thu Jun 21 04:45:10 CDT 2001

catching up on the archives again:

Regarding running an ftp server: proftpd is a pretty secure and
configurable FTP daemon. I would run that. The debian version is well
maintained and always has security updates released immediately. You
could configure an area for anonymous write where people could drop
and pick up mp3 files but couldn't overwrite existing files. It would
be crude and unorganized but it would provide a quick stop gap.

Actually I would suggest getting it set up on your server so you all
can learn how to config proftpd and then send me a copy of the config
file you have all tweaked up and I will run it on my server so you get
the good bandwidth without me having to do a lot of configuration
work.

Regarding RealServer - I have it on my machine. It isn't working right
because I am running a 2.4.x kernel and RealServer seems to be
invompatible with that. I will downgrade to 2.2.x in the next few days
and let you know what is up.

Regarding fixing the active software: RAHR yes. I support any effort
to identify and crush bugs in Active. There are a lot of quirks but
also a lot of good things in active and until/unless there is a global
effort to rewrite active from scratch I think we should lend a hand to
fixing active up. Of course on this point I must neccessarily be all
talk and no code...at least for a little while longer.