[Imc-tech] suggestion to buy a harddrive

jacobs jacobs at students.uiuc.edu
Fri Jun 29 22:25:42 CDT 2001

Hi all,

I'd like to put an idea to the tech group and possibly discuss at the steering
group meeting on sunday (time permitting).  I am working on a website for the
IMC Library and have talked to Zach regarding space on his server.  He is down
to approximately 3 GB (with a possibility of borrowing 30 gb from his
housemate's server for short periods of time).  He suggested, and I agree,
that we should purchase a dedicated harddrive for the IMC. On the low end this
would cost about $90 for 15GB, on the high end this would cost about $240 for
75GB. I would like to take Zach up on his idea and shoot for a high end drive
that would give the IMC plenty of space to grow into.  Not only is this a good
idea for growth but a good idea if Zach ever decides that he cannot be the
server admin, we can have all of our site on one easily moved disk.  I would
be willing to chip some of my dubya $$ toward this purchase and maybe we could
put the idea out to the whole list that we are accepting donations for the
purchase.  What say you?

Talk to you on sunday.

James Jacobs

James R. Jacobs
Graduate Reference Assistant
Education/Social Science Library
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Home: 303B1 Paddock Drive
Savoy, IL 61874
(217)359-9283
jacobs at uiuc.edu
   (\
  {|||8-
   (/

"Librarians, Dusty, possess a vast store of politeness.
These are people who get asked regularly the dumbest
questions on God's green earth. These people tolerate
every kind of crank and eccentric and mouth-breather
there is."
--Garrison Keillor, "Lives of the Cowboys"