[Imc-tech] suggestion to buy a harddrive

David Young dyoung at onthejob.net
Fri Jun 29 22:50:45 CDT 2001

I shiver at the thought of losing 75GB of data at one blow. Is IMC
backed-up?  If not, I suggest IMC buy more than one smaller disk instead
of just one gigantic disk. That way one disk's failure will take only
a fraction of IMC's content with it.

Dave

On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 10:25:42PM -0500, jacobs wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to put an idea to the tech group and possibly discuss at the steering
> group meeting on sunday (time permitting).  I am working on a website for the
> IMC Library and have talked to Zach regarding space on his server.  He is down
> to approximately 3 GB (with a possibility of borrowing 30 gb from his
> housemate's server for short periods of time).  He suggested, and I agree,
> that we should purchase a dedicated harddrive for the IMC. On the low end this
> would cost about $90 for 15GB, on the high end this would cost about $240 for
> 75GB. I would like to take Zach up on his idea and shoot for a high end drive
> that would give the IMC plenty of space to grow into.  Not only is this a good
> idea for growth but a good idea if Zach ever decides that he cannot be the
> server admin, we can have all of our site on one easily moved disk.  I would
> be willing to chip some of my dubya $$ toward this purchase and maybe we could
> put the idea out to the whole list that we are accepting donations for the
> purchase.  What say you?
>
> Talk to you on sunday.
>
> James Jacobs
>
> James R. Jacobs
> Graduate Reference Assistant
> Education/Social Science Library
> University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
> Home: 303B1 Paddock Drive
> Savoy, IL 61874
> (217)359-9283
> jacobs at uiuc.edu
>    (\
>   {|||8-
>    (/

> "Librarians, Dusty, possess a vast store of politeness.
> These are people who get asked regularly the dumbest
> questions on God's green earth. These people tolerate
> every kind of crank and eccentric and mouth-breather
> there is."
> --Garrison Keillor, "Lives of the Cowboys"

David Young                   On the Job Consulting
dyoung at onthejob.net     Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933