[Imc-tech] Re: new computers

Zachary C.Miller wolfgang at wolfgang.groogroo.com
Fri May 4 13:25:22 CDT 2001

Oops. I was just listing the total bargain basement prices, what I
failed to check was that better chips don't cost that much more:

If we change the K6-2+MB+64MB RAM: $128 we can get these:

AMD Duron 700+MB+64MB RAM: $144
Celeron 633+MB+64MB RAM: $166

AMD Athlon Thunderbird 800+MB+64MB RAM: $197
PIII 733+MB+64MB RAM: @220

It is true the K6-II competes with the PII not with the Celeron or the
PIII. Here are the competing AMD chips and their respective Intel
competitors. AMD is pretty much always faster and cheaper. And Intel
has production problems so AMD chips usually ship faster.

We can add an extra 64MB of RAM for $17.

We can generally bump the processor speeds up for very little extra
money (AMD Duron 750 is only 1 dollar more than the 700 listed above).

And again, if we decide to go the custom route we should carefully
research the motherboards and other hardware we choose and we may
spend a little extra money but I think it'll still be cheaper than the
Ubid prices Paul has posted.