[Imc-tech] tonight's meeting

Paul Riismandel p-riism at uiuc.edu
Wed May 9 22:41:46 CDT 2001

Dan, Erek, David Y., Ellen, Brian and I met, we discussed the IP logging
question and put our purchasing plans into priority order.

First, the IP logging situation:
After about 45 minutes of discussion we decided to simply stop keeping a
log of IP host addresses.  A number of other options were considered,
including only keeping IPs from certain top-level domains, or keeping just
lists of top level domains, but ultimately decided that we should protect
the privacy of all our users.  We will present this conclusion to the
steering committee on Sunday.

Note: Yesterday Ohio Valley IMC got a court order for a specific server log
entry. See http://urbana.indymedia.org/active/news/display.php3?article_id=791

Purchasing Priority:
Given our problems with getting one of our donating machines to become a
usable router, we made this our top priority for purchasing.  The was
memory of Zach offering a K5 machine that may be suitable -- David will
follow up with Zach and meet with Ellen and Erek on Sat. if it is a working
machine.

Otherwise, we will look to see if we can get a known working Pentium-class
machine, with at least 16MB RAM and a CD-ROM  for $50.  If not, we'll see
what we can obtain for $200.

The rest of the purchasing priorities are, in order:

2. Digital Camcorder, Sony or Canon $700-$1000
3. Additional computers, for the following purposes, in order:
       1. file server / 'net audio server
       2. A/ V editing
       3. another server to unbundle file and audio serving

We estimate spending ~$400 for each machine, with at least a speedy
Celeron.  Since it may be a little more time 'til we can get these, we can
make more specific specifications when we have the dough.

Next Wed. we will prioritize the projects we have in front of us.  This
includes -- getting public 'net machines together, a/v wiring, and anything
else anyone wants to add.

--Paul