[Imc-tech] tonight's meeting

Daniel S. Lewart d-lewart at uiuc.edu
Fri May 11 00:41:42 CDT 2001

UCIMC Tech Team,

> First, the IP logging situation:
> After about 45 minutes of discussion we decided to simply stop keeping a
> log of IP host addresses.  A number of other options were considered,
> including only keeping IPs from certain top-level domains, or keeping just
> lists of top level domains, but ultimately decided that we should protect
> the privacy of all our users.  We will present this conclusion to the
> steering committee on Sunday.

> Note: Yesterday Ohio Valley IMC got a court order for a specific server log
> entry. See http://urbana.indymedia.org/active/news/display.php3?article_id=791

Here is some technical information about Apache logs.

Currently the LogFormat is "full":
	LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\"
		\"%{User-Agent}i\" %T %v %{UNIQUE_ID}e %{cookie}n" full
where the "%" directives are as follows:
  %h:	Remote host
  %l:	Remote logname (from identd, if supplied)
  %u:	Remote user (from auth; may be bogus if return status (%s) is 401)
  %t:	Time, in common log format time format (standard english format)
  %r:	First line of request
  %>s:	Status of the last request
  %b:	Bytes sent, excluding HTTP headers. In CLF format '-' means 0.
  %{Referer}i:		The contents of Referer: header line(s) in request
  %{User-Agent}i:	The contents of User-Agent: header line(s) in request
  %T:	The time taken to serve the request, in seconds.
  %v:	The canonical ServerName of the server serving the request.
  %{UNIQUE_ID}e:	The contents of the environment variable UNIQUE_ID
  %{cookie}n:		The contents of note "cookie" from another module.
For more information, see "Custom Log Formats":
	http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_log_config.html#formats
If you have an account on imsahp, you may view the log file:
	/var/log/apache/access.log

Analog analyzes the logfiles and generates many reports.
For more information, see the Analog web page:
	http://mirror.sit.wisc.edu/analog/
I do not want to publicize where these reports are, so contact me
and I will send you the URL.

The question is: "Which directives should be removed from the LogFormat?"
Obviously %h.  Probably %l, %u, and %{cookie}n too.

Cheers,
Dan