[Imc-tech] working machines

Paul Riismandel p-riism at uiuc.edu
Tue May 15 01:52:18 CDT 2001

I made the P75 Compaq machine the staff computer tonight, after adding
another 16 MB of RAM I scavenged from the working P60.  I decided that one
good very functional machine was better than 2 slow semi-functional
machines.  I also updated some drivers from the Compaq website since the
display adapter was acting wonky.

I tried about 10 different ways to get the former staff machine (Compaq
mini-tower) to get on the network with no success.  Then I kind of
remembered that my brother has a very similar Compaq machine that he had a
hell of a time getting on the network in his college dorm a few years
ago.  I think he finally had to special order an ethernet card, since no
standard one would work.  That may be a reason why we can't get the damn
thing on the net.

--Paul