[Imc-tech] tech question from IMC library

jacobs jacobs at students.uiuc.edu
Fri Nov 23 12:30:58 CST 2001

Hey there,

I just ran across some interesting library software called OpenBook
(http://www.trfoundation.org/projects/openbook.html). It's basically a MySQL
database with interfaces in PHP and PERL. I've talked preliminarily with laura
Huth at ISEN about the possibility of building a community library catalog.
She's really excited about the possibility as am I.

My questions to tech are: how much space does a 25,000 record database need?
Would it be possible to host the DB on groo-groo? If not, would a dedicated
hard-drive work and how much would it cost? How much time would tech
support/admin take up for a project of this size? I'm planning on taking
Maiko's PERL class at CLAM in the spring and I've got a class at the Grad.
School of Library and Information Science lined up to do data
entry/cataloging. While I haven't actually looked at the software, there may
be some tweeking necessary to build it to our community's situation.

Are there any other issues that you can think of that I've missed?

Peace,

James Jacobs
Radical Librarian

James R. Jacobs
Graduate Reference Assistant
Education/Social Science Library
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Home: 303B1 Paddock Drive
Savoy, IL 61874
(217)359-9283
jacobs at uiuc.edu
   (\
  {|||8-
   (/

"Librarians, Dusty, possess a vast store of politeness.
These are people who get asked regularly the dumbest
questions on God's green earth. These people tolerate
every kind of crank and eccentric and mouth-breather
there is."
--Garrison Keillor, "Lives of the Cowboys"