[Imc-tech] FWD: RE: [Openbook-l] cataloging module

jacobs jacobs at students.uiuc.edu
Sat Nov 24 16:39:45 CST 2001

Hey Techstas!  Below is the response that I received from the software
developer regarding technical requirements for the online catalog software.
Perhaps I can come to a tech meeting to pitch the idea after I've met with
Laura at ISEN? Any librarians want to help out with this? I think a community
catalog is a great idea and hope that we can work together to get it up and
running!

James Jacobs

>===== Original Message From "Willem Scholten" <willem at trfoundation.org> =====
Database size:

There are two factors which limit this: First the MySQL database size - that
is really dependent on your OS, but under Linux I doubt you would run up
against a boundary! The second factor is the OpenBook itself, right now we
know it will handle 100,000 Bibliog. graphic records and it s associated
copy records (an average of 3 per bibliographic record) fine, and we are
doing scaling test to optimize towards a potential size of approximately 1
million bibliog. graphic records and around 3 million holding/copy level
records.

Clearly most of this is driven by your machine and OS layout and tuning of
file systems when you get that big :)  More practically, we run a nice test
system in house, which is a 700Mhz Celeron with 256Mb of memory and 20GB
EIDE drive, nothing fancy, with RedHat linux 7.1 and 25,000 bibliog. graphic
records, 75,000 copy level records without any problem.  This is just a
plain old "chop shop" bought no name machine we purchased for $500 including
a CD-R for backup and 10/100 3COM Ethernet card.

As to cataloging question, I'll drop you a note, we are more then willing to
let you take a look and we would love to talk to your professor.  There area
few other schools who are starting to use it for cataloging classes.

Hope that helps!

-Willem.