[Imc-tech] Question re: PHP and indymedia newswire

Treesong treesong at treesong.org
Sun Feb 24 19:34:10 CST 2002

Hello,

My name is Treesong, and I am an activist and writer living in
Carbondale, Illinois. I would like some help with a technical
question... I'm working on "syndicating" the indymedia newswire - that
is to say, I am trying to set up links from my site to the current
stories on the global indymedia newswire and possible several others
such as yours and the Chicago one. I am looking for either one or the
other of the following:

(1) A sample php file that parses the indymedia XML newsfeed into a
useful format (such as the one used on your front page), or

(2) An explanation of how I can get a PHP file to take the content of an
element in an XML file and use it to create a link.
For example, the XML file contains the following code:
<LINK>http://www.indymedia.org/etc.php</LINK>
And I would like the PHP to turn this into the following HTML-ready code:
<A HREF="http://www.indymedia.org/etc.php" TARGET="_top">Full Story</A>

Either one of these would be helpful, but (1) would probably be the most
helpful and also probably the easiest for you.

Thanks in advance,

Treesong

P.S. A Carbondale IMC is still only a pipe dream at the moment, but
since I'm the only one I know in the area who is both interested in
starting one and willing to learn more advanced web design, I may be
working on that sort of project eventually. I'll talk to someone at the
non-tech Urbana IMC address soon...