[Imc-tech] Re: Can't publish a comment in lynx on the IMC newswire again

Daniel S. Lewart d-lewart at uiuc.edu
Wed Jan 9 04:40:47 CST 2002

John,

> A while back you guys - especially Dan, I guess - figured out a bug which
> was preventing me from posting comments to the IMC newswire using
> Prairienet's "lynx".  I was then able to post my comments in a normal
> fashion for quite a long time.  But recently I've been having trouble
> posting comments again.

On Aug 8, 2001 I implemented a workaround for active 1-7-1.  I submitted
it to the global folks and it was ignored.

> The problem seemed to correlate with an inability on the part of me and all
> Prairienet subscribers to post to Prairienet's newsgroups using "Pine",
> starting just before Christmas.  I could read the newsgroups and respond to
> an individual post via e-mail, but I couldn't post in such a way that it
> could be read by the entire newsgroup. Neither could anyone else trying to
> access the newsgroups from Prairienet, though people with Soltec and
> Advancenet accounts, for example, could.

Correlation != causality.

> That was a problem on Prairienet's end, and it was fixed after a couple of
> weeks.  I don't see an obvious connection; I bring it up only because my
> inability to post comments to the IMC newswire using "lynx" seemed to happen
> at about the same time.  Though I can now post to the newsgroups once again
> with Pine, I'm still unable to post comments to the newswire using Lynx.

I upgraded our active software to 1-7-2 on Nov 27, 2001.

> What I've noticed is that after I try to post a comment, I'll go back to the
> original newswire post a half hour or a day later and it'll say "full story
> and one comment", but there'll be no comment visible.  I figure the comment
> is mine, and it just isn't showing up for some reason.  I've had this
> experience about a half dozen times now, always with the exact same result.

It failed for me too.

> Anything you can figure out will be greatly appreciated.  And no hurry if
> you have more pressing concerns.  Thanks!

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to figure it out.  Clint, do you have
several days to waste? :) I'll post to the global IMC Tech list, if it ever
comes back up.

I think it is important to support Lynx.  However, since the global folks
ignore my contributions, I can't justify spending the time required to
fix their crappy code.

Thanks,
Dan