[Imc-tech] Re: Can't publish a comment in lynx on the IMC newswire again

John Wason jwason at prairienet.org
Wed Jan 9 07:25:04 CST 2002

At 04:40 AM 01/09/2002 -0600, Daniel S. Lewart wrote:

>John,
>
>> A while back you guys - especially Dan, I guess - figured out a bug which
>> was preventing me from posting comments to the IMC newswire using
>> Prairienet's "lynx".  I was then able to post my comments in a normal
>> fashion for quite a long time.  But recently I've been having trouble
>> posting comments again.
>
>On Aug 8, 2001 I implemented a workaround for active 1-7-1.  I submitted
>it to the global folks and it was ignored.
>
>> The problem seemed to correlate with an inability on the part of me and all
>> Prairienet subscribers to post to Prairienet's newsgroups using "Pine",
>> starting just before Christmas.  I could read the newsgroups and respond to
>> an individual post via e-mail, but I couldn't post in such a way that it
>> could be read by the entire newsgroup. Neither could anyone else trying to
>> access the newsgroups from Prairienet, though people with Soltec and
>> Advancenet accounts, for example, could.

>Correlation != causality.

*smile*  I know.  I'm just operating on the same principle I operate on with
my auto mechanic, or doctor for that matter - the more symptoms or details I
can supply him with about the problem, the more likely he is to make a
correct diagnosis.  I don't always know which details are relevant and which
are not, so I supply 'em all and let the mechanic sort 'em out.

>> That was a problem on Prairienet's end, and it was fixed after a couple of
>> weeks.  I don't see an obvious connection; I bring it up only because my
>> inability to post comments to the IMC newswire using "lynx" seemed to happen
>> at about the same time.  Though I can now post to the newsgroups once again
>> with Pine, I'm still unable to post comments to the newswire using Lynx.
>
>I upgraded our active software to 1-7-2 on Nov 27, 2001.
>
>> What I've noticed is that after I try to post a comment, I'll go back to the
>> original newswire post a half hour or a day later and it'll say "full story
>> and one comment", but there'll be no comment visible.  I figure the comment
>> is mine, and it just isn't showing up for some reason.  I've had this
>> experience about a half dozen times now, always with the exact same result.
>
>It failed for me too.
>
>> Anything you can figure out will be greatly appreciated.  And no hurry if
>> you have more pressing concerns.  Thanks!
>
>Unfortunately, I don't have the time to figure it out.  Clint, do you have
>several days to waste? :) I'll post to the global IMC Tech list, if it ever
>comes back up.
>
>I think it is important to support Lynx.  However, since the global folks
>ignore my contributions, I can't justify spending the time required to
>fix their crappy code.

Not being a techie, I have just one more question.  What's the connection
between our server and the global IMC?  I'm attempting to post comments on
articles that are on OUR IMC server, not the global one.  Do we just use
their code somehow?

Thanks again,

John