[Imc-tech] Tech Mtg Notes 1-9-02

Paul Riismandel p-riism at uiuc.edu
Wed Jan 9 22:36:11 CST 2002

U-C IMC Tech Mtg. 1-9-02
Present: Paul, Brian, Clint, Ray, KJ, Dan, Rob, Amy, Zach

Center for Women in Transition Documentary Project:
Raymond Wilson is starting a documentary project on the Center for Women in
Transition, of which he is a board member.  Would like to collaborate with
the IMC, with IMC volunteers participating in all aspects of the
production.  He hopes to use BetacamSP pro video equipment from Parkland
where he will be a video student -- not sure about post-production/editing
equipment.  He plans for the documentary to be about 30 minutes, and will
also produce some PSAs. All are for air on UPTV, other public access TV,
submission to film festivals and other distribution.  The documentary is
not yet begun, so collaborators have a real opportunity to help shape it.

There was basic consensus that this sounds like a good project, although
there is noone present at the meeting who immediately has the time to
donate to it.  We suggest that Ray make an announcement to the larger IMC
community via the e-mail list and make personal contact with the news group
which has produced radio documentary.  Also suggest that he call a meeting
at the IMC to gather interested collaborators.

New Mixer for Mojo:
At Sunday's Steering and News meetings it came up that Mojo is very
difficult to use still, and it seems mostly due to screwy wiring brought on
by the lousy sound card user interface and the lack of a mixer or mic
preamp.  Sunday Paul declared he would not touch Mojo again w/o a mixer
and/or new sound card.  News Group approved $100 of their budget to go
towards a new mixer.  Paul and Brian found a Behringer model for
$160+shipping that provides 8 channels -- 4 mono microphone and 4 stereo
line-level.  Tech dicussed ponying up the balance of the money, decided
that there were no other major expenditures on the table.  Consensus to
contribute up to $100 more for the mixer.

Fileserver:
Clint has it up and running.  It's name is Dewey.  It is also a print
server connected to a laser printer.  Clint will send out instructions for
printing to it and where to find the printed output.
We still need to figure out what gets backed up and when to the fileserver
and tape.  Brian will tell Clint what drives/folders from Mojo and Sergei
need to be mirrored regularly.  Necessary OS and Application CDs are also
mirrored on Dewey in case we misplace physical media (us?  Naw.).  Clint
will move it into the production room, where it makes more sense for tape
backup.

Website Mirror (Big Head Tod?  Pud?):
It has linux installed, we reckon.  It should be put on the UPS near the
network closet.  Dan has to find out from Travas what its status is and get
it made into a mirror.

Website Software; Active vs. Philly Slashcode:
Active sucks, is a pain, and nobody denies it.  Paul suggests we take a
serious look at the code the Philly IMC runs, which is a fork of Slashcode
(from Slashdot.org).  PhillySlash allows for the categorization of posts,
is fixed for multimedia uploads and looks like an IMC website.  Everyone
seems to like this idea, especially the real geeks.  We decide to do an
install of it and do a test site.

Clint will put the PhillySlash code in CVS on groogroo along with Slash 2
(Philly's code is based on Slash 1 and maybe we can mate it with Slash 2,
which is bolstered for heavier loads).  Linux/Perl Techies will meet Sunday
at 3:30 PM (after wireless mtg) to pick over the code and do an install.

Once installed we'll make plans for meetings/charettes to design the look,
feel and functionality.    No concrete timeline yet.

Online Calendaring:
Has become a greater need now that we have two people doing space
scheduling: Jenny books music shows, Clint books all else.  Clint will find
us a calendaring system so that they don't have to be at the IMC to book
and confirm reservations.  Ideally we want  a system that will manage
multiple groups, so that this same software could be the local event
calendar, IMC meeting calendar, etc.  Clint estimates it'll take him 2 weeks.

Quickbooks:
Runs too slow on Staff machine.  Will be moved to Mojo (when we find the CD).

Next meeting:
1/16/02, emphasis on Audio and Video