[Imc-tech] Re: digi001

Paul Riismandel p-riism at uiuc.edu
Wed Jan 23 21:27:18 CST 2002

At 07:48 PM 1/23/2002 -0600, Paul Kotheimer wrote:
>just to clarify a few points:
>
>i was definitely NOT thinking of digi001 (etc.) as a NewsGroup tool.

OK. Sascha has clarified the plan to me some more.

>i was hoping that it'd be feasible for Mother Jones to be the host of SOME
>ADAT compatible 8-channel I/O, like digi 001 or a MOTU, if i were to buy
>it. sounds like this is a NO GO, regardless of where the I/O box comes
>from.  am i wrong on this?
No, you're correct.  As it stands I am horrifically hesitant to try and add
any major new hardware (other than hard drives or external devices) to MoJo
now that she seems to be working and useful, regardless of whether it's a
Digi, Motu or some other thing.  Further, I'm a proponent of one machine
per task if we can do it.  It helps keep us from having too much
competition/conflict between projects, and reduces the likelihood that a
workable configuration gets botched.

>i was leaning toward digi001 on a recommendation from a recording studio
>guru in Chicago, basically because of ProTools being the industry standard
>software in use in big studios, and because of the amazing low price.  my
>guru friend did not mention the PC glitch.
I happen to think the digi001 is a great box, actually.  It just really
needs a Mac to be useful and stable -- a G3 (not beige) with at least 256 -
512 MB of memory, and two hard drives, with the second one being a big fast
IDE drive for your data.  With that config you'll have a nice stable
multitrack environment.  I really don't find being confined to ProTools for
your multitrack work to be a significant limitation -- I'm hard pressed to
know what other package we'd seriously want to use instead.

>so...back to the drawing board, then.  i'll be in touch.
Whatever the plan is we'd need a computer to go with the sound device.  I'm
all up for adding more equipment to the IMC stock as long as it isn't an
additional drain on our already meager tech-support resources.  At the
moment I think adding anything to MoJo would be a burden.

--Paul