[Imc-tech] Re: digi001

Paul Kotheimer herringb at prairienet.org
Wed Jan 23 19:48:59 CST 2002

hey Paul and Erek, et al

thanks for the info about digi 001.  expecially regarding the PC/MAC
problem.  i didn't know about digi's incompatibility issues with the PC
and various operating systems when i floated the idea about the offer.

regardless of these issues, Sascha and I (i think) agree that making
multi-tracking available to IMC performance-space users might be a
money-maker for the center, and might be a way for me to offer steadier
long-term gear (and time) comittments to the IMC.  i think he and i also
agree that multi-track audio at the IMC would also be a way for my current
CD production "SERIOUS FOLKING MUSIC" to become a better-integrated
skills-sharing/fundraising/media/outreach project of our Center, and of
the IMC movement, writ large.

just to clarify a few points:

i was definitely NOT thinking of digi001 (etc.) as a NewsGroup tool.

i was hoping that it'd be feasible for Mother Jones to be the host of SOME
ADAT compatible 8-channel I/O, like digi 001 or a MOTU, if i were to buy
it. sounds like this is a NO GO, regardless of where the I/O box comes
from.  am i wrong on this?

i was leaning toward digi001 on a recommendation from a recording studio
guru in Chicago, basically because of ProTools being the industry standard
software in use in big studios, and because of the amazing low price.  my
guru friend did not mention the PC glitch.

so...back to the drawing board, then.  i'll be in touch.

paulkotheimer:)
THE HAND-MADE RECORD LABEL
www.handmaderecords.com

c/o the School for Designing a Society