[Imc-tech] Re: computer parts sale?

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ojctech.com
Wed Oct 23 12:25:14 CDT 2002

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Brandon Bowersox wrote:

> Sascha,
>
> CLAM has tentatively decided to suspend teaching the free programming
> classes to the public because of declining enrollment and waning
> interest over the last 3 semesters.  Instead we will focus on
> on-site training, primarily for kids, at grade schools and community
> centers.  Because of this we are considering dis-assembling the lab
> located at OJC.  We have the following questions for the IMC:
>
> -We know the IMC has lots of extra computer hardware--does the IMC
> want to hold a joint garage sale fundraiser to sell extra hardware
> from the IMC and CLAM?

The IMC has been clearing out much of its extra stuff so there isn't too
much left to sell.  That said, I'm sure we'd be willing to join on with
whatever small things we still want to get rid of.

> -Is the IMC willing to be an outlet for teaching free technology
> classes to the public--in other words, if 6 months from now a willing
> teacher and an avid group of students wanted to hold a class could
> the IMC be able provide the lab classroom space for such an event?

Certainly we would be interested in being a venue for classes.  We would
either want to work out some sort of rental agreement.  But it's something
we could definitely talk more about.

> -Also, is the IMC interested in buying or using any of lab equipment
> at CLAM or relocating part of the CLAM lab to the IMC?

This was much more easy to do back before we opened up the Middle Room Art
Gallery.  Right now space is a bit at a premium.  However, we do have
projects (for example the wireless project) that might have use for
various equipment.  We should talk more about various options.  I've also
cc-ed the various groups of the IMC (tech, space, finance, and booking) so
that everyone is on the same page.

> We're checking for tentative interest and would like to hear back in a
> few days if you have any interest.  Thanks so much,

So I guess I would like to hear more about CLAM's ideas, we would then
want to bring a proposal to the IMC Steering Group once we concretize
things a bit more.  I very much like the idea of bring technology classes
to the IMC -- I know that it is something we first talked about almost 2
years ago and this sounds like a collaboration that would benefit both the
IMC and CLAM.

--Sascha