[Imc-tech] no more tech?

Clint Popetz clint at ucimc.org
Thu Feb 6 13:13:25 CST 2003

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 12:48:41PM -0600, Zachary C. Miller wrote:
> Clint and I have been brainstorming some hardware related design stuff
> that I want to share with Tech soon.
>
> I am going to start brainstorming some software design stuff that I
> want to share with and work with tech on soon.
>
> I want to start helping with IMC computer maintenance soon.
>
> Most of the time tech is a working group. We have projects to do that
> don't really lend themselves to a meeting type setting. But sometimes
> there are important decisions to be made and standards to
> establish. What group should do this? Steering?

Often we forward tech policy decisions to steering anyway, so this
wouldn't be a huge step.

> The other point of tech is to manage the inventory of lendable
> stuff. Some group will need to take this over if tech folds. Perhaps
> it should be under the jurisdiction of radio?

Since I am going to be doing by default in order to make my job
possible, that sounds reasonable to me.

> Perhaps we could move to monthly tech meetings?

I can't make any Wednesday night meeting, so if we do have monthly
tech meetings, they need to be on another day.

> Alternatively (or additionally) It'd be really easy for me to make
> Tech meetings if they were Thursday nights at 8pm since I'm already
> there for Shows from 7pm-8pm.

I can't make 8pm, because my it's a school night for my kids.  But
that doesn't meet it shouldn't be at that time, as I expect/hope/plead
that people like you and Dan will be doing more of the tech work
anyway :)

In summary, I'd say that it isn't terribly important for tech to meet
regularly, because we bounce ideas off each other without a meeting.
The only disadvantage of not having a tech meeting is that new people
can't volunteer, but in my entire time at the IMC, no one has
volunteered for tech jobs that wasn't already here.  One-on-one
dragging of people into jobs will be the only way we get more help,
IMHO.

				-Clint