[Imc-tech] Re: Hosting Chicago IMC

Zachary C. Miller wolfgang at wolfgang.groogroo.com
Tue Jan 14 21:00:17 CST 2003

Ian Bicking wrote:
> Hello, I'm with Chicago IMC.  We're currently hosted on Stallman, but
> we're actively looking for another server we can move to.  Michael
> Feltes spoke highly of you, and mentioned that Groogroo might be able
> an option.  We're very eager to switch servers -- if it might be
> possible, we'd like to discuss it further.

I think we'd be happy to host you, though you may be better off on
stallman as our bandwidth is pretty limitted (we're just on a DSL line
with only a 256kbps uplink). You can't do any multimedia or streaming
services on our server because of the limitted bandwidth.

The advantage we offer is that we run Dada rather than active. Your
tech people would have to learn to use Dada if you aren't already
using it.

Would you be able to make any kind of monetary donation to help defray
the costs of our server and bandwidth? Normally we charge folks that
we do hosting for, but we've never hosted another IMC before (only
other allied local orgs) so I don't know what our expectations for
that would be. Do you have statistics on the total transfers of your
website in a given month (GB/month)?

Of course, if our two IMC's (and maybe others in the region) could
work together to raise the funds to upgrade our netlink that'd solve a
lot of problems for everyone. I'd imagine we'd have to raise about
$400/month in additional funding beyond what we have to get a good T1
(which would more than quadruple our uplink speeds).

I definitely would like to see some cooperation between the various
midwestern IMCs. So lets figure out what we can and can't do
together. I'm cc'ing our tech group to get them in this discussion.