[Imc-tech] Re: Hosting Chicago IMC

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Tue Jan 14 21:17:45 CST 2003

On Tue, 2003-01-14 at 21:00, Zachary C. Miller wrote:
> Ian Bicking wrote:
> > Hello, I'm with Chicago IMC.  We're currently hosted on Stallman, but
> > we're actively looking for another server we can move to.  Michael
> > Feltes spoke highly of you, and mentioned that Groogroo might be able
> > an option.  We're very eager to switch servers -- if it might be
> > possible, we'd like to discuss it further.
>
> I think we'd be happy to host you, though you may be better off on
> stallman as our bandwidth is pretty limitted (we're just on a DSL line
> with only a 256kbps uplink). You can't do any multimedia or streaming
> services on our server because of the limitted bandwidth.

That is quite limited.  As of 6 months ago we were using 1.5Gb/month,
which isn't that much, but as a news site we need to expect bursts.  I
don't know what bandwidth we are using now -- they've stopped keeping
logs on Stallman to save disk space (it's kind of a desperate situation
on Stallman all around).

But anyway, we're very interested in doing something together with other
IMCs.  Actually, we were planning on moving to St. Louis, but then there
was all sorts of weirdness with their server, and it kind of spooked
me.  I just noticed they have a note on their website that they lack a
UPS and that caused the problem.  I believe they are also sorely lacking
tech support.  I'll CC St. Louis on this as well.  I believe their
server is colocated.

--
Ian Bicking           Colorstudy Web Development
ianb at colorstudy.com   http://www.colorstudy.com