[Imc-tech] Re: Hosting Chicago IMC

Zachary C. Miller wolfgang at wolfgang.groogroo.com
Tue Jan 14 21:38:03 CST 2003

Ian Bicking wrote:
> But anyway, we're very interested in doing something together with other
> IMCs.  Actually, we were planning on moving to St. Louis, but then there
> was all sorts of weirdness with their server, and it kind of spooked
> me.  I just noticed they have a note on their website that they lack a
> UPS and that caused the problem.  I believe they are also sorely lacking
> tech support.  I'll CC St. Louis on this as well.  I believe their
> server is colocated.

My server is located at my house (which I own, so it is a more stable
location than our IMC space which we rent, when we buy a building
we'll eventually move the server to the IMC).

We have a ton of good techies here. I have plenty of disk space. I
have a UPS and run my disks as a mirrored software RAID and do nightly
backups. But a lot of people use my server right now so I'm not sure
if I could support another full blown IMC without a net upgrade. I
don't think I've had downtime lasting more than a few hours since 2000
and I've only had a couple of those.

Since our IMC has space, techies, experience running an IMC server,
and computing resources already located here, I think we'd make an
excellent location for a midwest regional server but we've gotta kick
in some funds to do that. I'm pretty sure with some effort our IMC
could kick in $200-$300/month and a thousand or so up front for
equipment. What kind of resources do you'all have that we might be
able to pool? Are folks interested in organizing around a goal like
this and trying to do some serious fundraising?

I think that initially a single T1 (~$600-$800/month with a
$2000-$4000 setup cost) would be ideal for a midwest regional
server. Then we'd have the option of just tacking on additional T1s as
we need and can afford them.