[Imc-tech] Audio Machine discussion

Clint Popetz clint at ucimc.org
Mon Jan 20 12:21:16 CST 2003

Greetings,

	I would like us to start a discussion on the best approach to
accomplish the following:

(a) Have two machines dedicated to audio editing

(b) Have them both with access to the same mixer.

I am willing to front some money and fund-raise to get this done.
Today I have two people (plus me) wanting to produce audio, and only
poor mojo to do it with.  Yes, sergei is there, but it's not hooked up
to the various components, and I have no end of trouble trying to use
it for audio.  Plus, it is often used for other things, and is in fact
in use right now.

So.  The biggest concern is probably space.  Do people think, with a
reorganization, three machines could fit along the wall with
mojo/sergei?  I'm thinking that the flat panel monitor currently in
use by the staff computer could be used to save space along that desk,
and that the components currently next to sergei could be moved to a
wall-shelf above or to the right of sergei.  But that's just a stab.

Another possibility is to dedicate the desk that had been granted to
me (where the fax machine used to be) to place another audio editing
station.  Yet another possibility is to ditch the big metal cabinet,
which is mostly empty, moving all non-crucial stuff store in the
production room to the area at the West end of the galery.  The gig
bags could be placed on wooden shelves above mojo, and the space where
the cabinet is could be another machine.

There is also the really appealing idea of moving to rack-mounted
equipment.

Thoughts?
				-Clint

--
Clint Popetz  		         Home:  217-398-4186
  Urbana-Champaign               IMC:   217-344-8820
    Independent Media Center     Email: clint at ucimc.org
      Radio News Coordinator	 USPS:  502 W. Washington Champaign, IL 61820