[Imc-tech] 100BaseT card

Zachary C. Miller wolfgang at wolfgang.groogroo.com
Tue Mar 11 13:25:02 CST 2003

3COM 10BT/100BTX/1000BT PCI-X 3C996B-T GIGABIT SERVER CARD
$138.16

3COM 10BT/100BTX/1000BT PCI-X 3C996B-T GIGABIT SERVER CARD 5-PK
$599.51

This seems to be one of the top of the line gigE card to get. A bunch
of companies have gigE cards for as little as $38 each but I haven't
had a chance to research their linux compatibility and
performance. There is also an Intel e1000 card which is apparently
considered better and is about the same price. These are server class
cards.

D-LINK 1000BTX 8-PORT DGS1008T UNMANAGED GIGA SWITCH (ports
autonegotiate 10/100/1000).
$358.61

So if 10 people coule chip in $50 each our production lab could really
fly and we'd have room for expansion.

If we can find decent reliable workstation class gigE cards for $50
each then we'd only need to raise $600 rather than $1000. Apparently
in this class Intel, Syskonnect, and Netgear all make good cards and
D-Links cards are to be avoided like the plague.