[Imc-tech] Win2k security woes

Clint Popetz clint at ucimc.org
Wed Mar 26 09:25:14 CST 2003

AFAICT, you have to be an administrator to rip audio from a CD-ROM
under Win2k.  That means I have had to give production room account
admin privileges in order to rip audio for use in their pieces.  This
is bad.  In particular, it's resulted in people messing with software
installations on rosa and mojo.  (Right now rosa has some fscking AIM
software installed that is linked to \\motherjones, which is dead, so
now I have one dead computer and one computer that pauses 15 seconds
every time you open a new browser window, looking for it's AIM helper
on a dead computer.)

Thoughts from Win2k experts?  FAQs from a sampling of audio-ripping
software all say "Log in as an Administrator..."

			-Clint

--
Clint Popetz                   Home:  217-398-3831
  Urbana-Champaign             IMC:   217-344-8820
    Independent Media Center   Email: clint at ucimc.org
      Radio News Coordinator   USPS:  502 W. Washington Champaign, IL 61820