[Imc-tech] Re: your computer and printing

Clint Popetz clint at ucimc.org
Wed Nov 5 07:20:21 CST 2003

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 08:10:55AM -0500, Clint Popetz wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 07:39:01PM -0600, Zachary C. Miller wrote:
> > I attempted to get your computer to be able to easily print to the
> > Staff computer's printer but it won't easily do this without being
> > added to the domain which Clint has to do.
> >
> > Clint, could you remind me of the process for this and/or add the
> > librarian's computer (librarians, what is the name of that computer?)
> > to the domain?
>
> The process is:
>
> (a) Add the computer's MAC to /etc/dhcp.conf on the gateway, so that
>     it gets a static address
>
> (b) Add records to /etc/bind/db.{local,192} so that the machine has
>     a hostname
>
> (c) Add a passwd entry on dewey for the machine name, (not via direct
>     editing, as dewey runs freebsd; use vipw.)  Make the name end
>     in '$', e.g. "motherjones$"  Star the account so no one can login
>     as that account via ssh.
>
> (d) Run 'smbpasswd -a motherjones,' and then 'smbpasswd -m
> motherjones" and give it a null password (substitute your hostname for
> motherjones, of course.)
>
> That should be it, IIRC.

Err, duh,

  (e) Jump through the hoops on the windows box to add it to the IMC
domain.  This differs for each Windows variant.  It will ask you for
an administrative user/passwd; use the root account for dewey.

See:

	http://us1.samba.org/samba/ftp/docs/htmldocs/Samba-PDC-HOWTO.html

if you run into problems.

 				-Clint