[Imc-tech] mccloed DSL works also:

Arun Bhalla bhalla at uiuc.edu
Sat Sep 13 01:43:51 CDT 2003

We don't really know the network topology at (SBC's) CO.  It's possible
that SBC uses different pieces of hardware for different ISPs.  It is
shocking that SBC could get away with affecting that many users and not
be in a hurry to restore service.  If it's all on SBC's end, then there's
not much Sol Tec could do -- Sol Tec is ultimately at SBC's mercy (and so
is McLeod for that matter).

Arun

Sascha Meinrath writes:
> I just wanted to let folks know that McCleod DSL service is likewise
> unaffected.  Personally, I think the problem is on SolTec's end -- at best
> there must be some interaction between SBC and SolTec.  But either way,
> it certainly does not sit well that Soltec has been so poor lately.  I
> think that the IMC should switch providers -- we're paying too much, I've
> e-mailed Soltec asking them to reduce our rates and they haven't
> responded, so I think we should look elsewhere.
>
> --Sascha
>
> ***
>
> Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 13:33:18 -0500
> From: Mike Lehman <rebelmike at earthlink.net>
> To: UCIMC website work <imc-web at ucimc.org>
> Subject: Re: [Imc-web] FYI
>
> That's interesting. I have Earthlink DSL, which is also delivered over
> SBC's lines. It hasn't had a hiccup in the last two days. I'm not saying
> what Soltec is saying is false, just wondering what their special
> problem is...maybe it's a geographically determined problem and my side
> of Vine St. is OK.
> Mike Lehman
>
> Zachary C. Miller wrote:
>
> > Soltec had site wide problems today several times that left ALL of
> > their DSL customers with internet access. They claim these problems
> > were not their fault but were Ameritech/SBC's problems.
> >
> > Today my net was down during the following periods:
> >
> > 10:32-11:15
> > 16:19-16:47
> > 18:01-18:56 (!)
> > 20:24-22:13 (!!)
> > 23:00-23:02
> >
> > I am going to call tomorrow to try to get to the bottom of how bad
> > these problems are and whether they've been resolved.
> >
> > I am still moving forward with getting a second DSL line installed as
> > a backup so that if we need to we can dump Sol Tec's service. Having a
> > backup line to fall back on give us much better negotiating
> > ability. Ordering a new DSL line is a very slow process.
> >
> > I've also ordered the parts for a second server which gives more
> > flexibility in migrating from one network to another and better backup
> > capabilities in case of hardware failure. They shipped today, I
> > probably won't have time to build the server until I return from
> > vacation (I'm leaving in 1 week and returning Oct 1st).

Arun Bhalla