[Imc-tech] Re: IMC-US website on groogroo server:

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Thu Sep 25 20:00:00 CDT 2003

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Zachary C. Miller wrote:

> Sascha, if you really honestly think that this is the only option for
> hosting US-IMC and the US-IMC tech team agrees and there is some
> monetary input from the service then I'm ok with it.

I think there are other options, but not any that are as good (I know,
it's sad, but Indymedia's infrastructure makes our national power grid
look state-of-the-art).  I'll check with the IMC-US-Tech team and see what
they think.  But I think that by the time we're good to go live, the
UCIMC's server will be in _much_ more stable straights than it is now.

> I'm still very concerned about the bandwidth of a national scope site
> vs local sites. A small percentage of 200,000,000 people is still much
> more than an order of magnitude larger percentage of 100,000
> people. But I guess we'll just see.

Yes, but a small percentage of 200,000,000 people is also _a lot_ more
folks who'd be willing to pitch in with donations to keep the website up.
The global Indymedia site gets roughly 50,000 hits a day -- it might be
good to get some usage stats from their tech team so we know what the
maximum stress would be for our system.

> I'm also concerned about having all the eggs in one fragile basket. My
> house isn't neccessarily the best place to house the national
> revolution against corporate dominance.

Yeah -- if we house IMC-US, I think we'll want to mirror things too.  It's
something that we've talked about for quite some time, but maybe this is
the imputus for doing it -- I'm sure that we will find another IMC that
would be willing to be our backup.

> But if this really is an issue of us or nothing then of course I'm
> happy to help the cause. I just want to make sure this will really
> help the cause and I'm concerned that it won't.
>
> I guess I know what I'll be working on for the next three months. Whee.

Think of it as a first step to something grand.  I really think that we
can use this as a building block for building a much better community
resource.  But even at worst, we'd just have to move things over once
development is done.

--Sascha