[Imc-tech] Re: IMC-US website on groogroo server:

Clint Popetz clint at ucimc.org
Fri Sep 26 08:56:49 CDT 2003

On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 04:28:01PM -0500, Sascha Meinrath wrote:

> The site might max out our current bandwidth eventually,

Groogroo's bandwidth is _already_ maxed out, daily, often hourly.  Two
people pulling IMCRN mp3s (or Darrin Drda music, or Mediageek oggs)
bring it to a crawl.

Even ignoring the bandwidth issues, groogroo is falling apart without
a fulltime administrator.  People who pay for hosting, or even those
that get it for free, sort of expect /var not to fill up, a data
backup/recover plan, and redundant failover upstream providers.  The
infrastructure is not there.  That's not Zach's fault; he's taking
care of it in his spare time.  But unless US-IMC is going to pay him
to be groogroo's administrator, this sounds like a very bad idea.

> but it would also provide damn good leverage to raise the funding
> necessary to improve our network -- think of it as a bootstrapping
> methodology.

If the bootstrapping comes in funds (not just for equipment, but also
for Zach's time) paid _before_ the site is hosted, then I'm for it.
If it comes in promises and hopes, I'd say taking this on would be
acting in bad faith with respect to the community of people already
hosted on groogroo.

			-Clint