[Imc-tech] Re: [Imc-info] clarification on another rumour please

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Thu Jan 8 15:35:18 CST 2004

Hi Clara (et al.),

Thanks for letting us know about this rumour.  The UCIMC does do Community
Web Hosting for a variety of different projects and groups (I believe
there are over 150 different pages we are currently hosting).

Information about this initiative is available at:

http://hosting.ucimc.org

Community Web Hosting is offered on a sliding scale with the hope that
those that can afford to pay for services will do so to help subsidize
those who cannot otherwise afford webhosting.  Our process does indeed
allow us to charge for additional technical support -- however, over the
past two years that we've been running the service our tech team has been
volunteering its services and we have yet to bill anyone for the extra
help we've offered.

The goal of the project is to have voluntary donations by those utilizing
the service make it self-sustaining (currently the initiative runs in the
red and only survives by the continued subsidization from a single donor).
The only IMC's we've asked for donations from are those who have
approached us to host their website on our server.

Hope this helps clarify everything -- the hosting website has information
about the project philosophy, suggested donations, etc.

Let me know if there are any further questions or concerns.

In solidarity,

--Sascha Meinrath
Urbana-Champaign IMC