[Imc-tech] question re: imc net topology and wireless

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Mon Sep 13 14:12:32 CDT 2004

On Sat, Sep 11, 2004 at 03:28:00PM -0500, Clint Popetz wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 11, 2004 at 02:01:45PM -0500, David Young wrote:
> > As you know, C-U Wireless has a node on the chimney at IMC which
> > plugs into IMC's Debian firewall.  Right now, I reach it by ssh'ing
> > to indie245.indie-media.soltec.net and then ssh'ing from there
> > to 192.168.1.16.  I would like for our developers to be able to SSH
> > directly to the node on its own (routable) IP.  (I would also like to
> > experiment with 6to4....)  It seems like this should be a "simple matter"
> > of plugging the wireless node directly into a port on the DSL modem.
> > Will the DSL modem assign a routable IP with DHCP?
> >

> The current DSL modem only has one port.  Our four port one died.  If
> you foot the bill for a four port modem, I (personally) see no problem
> allowing it a public address on that subnet.

How much does a 4-port modem cost, and what brand is acceptable to IMC?
(Some people swear by Netopia....)  Presumably the 1-port modem speaks
only PPPoE, so plugging in a hub is not an option?

> Or you could port forward the ssh port on indie245.

I've already tried that.  I need the help of some Debian wizard to get
it right.  I think that the requisite kernel module is not loaded before
my port-forwarding rule.  Presumably indie246 is a "spare" IP that is
already routed to the firewall?

Dave