[Imc-tech] Deleted posts

Clint Popetz clint at cpopetz.com
Thu Feb 3 09:32:54 CST 2005

Ok, so someone posted a comment to this story about the latest IMC
Radio News:

	http://www.ucimc.org/newswire/display/24925/index.php

and in it they asked why Ricky Baldwin's opponent (Dennis Roberts)
hadn't been interviewed while Ricky had.  That's a valid question, and
one that has to be explored in a public forum in order for the public
to understand how independent mediap works.  I wrote up a detailed
response about how stories make it onto IMC Radio News.  Shortly after
posting, the original comment disappeared, although it violated no
rules that I could see, and asked a legitimate question.  So now my
response looks strange, because it is responding to a post that didn't
exist.  What's more, the original post isn't hidden, it's deleted.

This isn't the first time it's happened to me.  The same thing
happened to me in the followups to the "CD Review that Isn't" article.

I think editors are being way too hasty.  What's more, I don't know
why we started deleting instead of hiding, but it's way too final and
non-trackable for me.

I am adamantly opposed to deleting or hiding articles just because
they come from people we don't like, or who are frequent trolls, or
even worse, that we think are pseudonyms for frequent trolls.  Each
article should, in my opinion, be evaluated on its own merit.  I'm
beginning to think we should start using the features built in to dada
that make it so that editors have to rate things down to be hidden,
which means two (or more, it's configurable) have to agree on an
article needing to be hidden before it gets hidden.

Thoughts?

			-Clint