[Imc-tech] Re: [Imc-web] Deleted posts

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 3 11:12:31 CST 2005

Hi Clint,
I was the one who deleted the comment, which was made by "Jack Ryan" or
whoever he was calling himself on that one. Actually, I deleted it quite
a bit before your post (the day before, as I recall), but more on that
issue in a moment...

There has been quite a bit of notice of the way we are dealing with Jack
over the last six months as his posts steadily went downhill to no
purpose except harassment of other posters, assertions that his posts
that were hidden were only due to "censorship" when he simply had no
intention of observing our normally very flexibly enforced web use
policies, took up multiple, highly tranparent identities in seeking to
avoid a situation he brought onto himself, and intentionally attempted
to foment conflicts amongst what Jack perceives to be the "progressive"
community, but which has so far only managed to stir up Anna E..

All of these are classic "protest warrior" tactics (yes, he has made a
few under that nymn, so I think we're pretty sure about his real
motivations now) that have been growing against all open forums on the
left in the last couple of years and which have virtually made useless
certain IMC sites, in particular. It is clear that the goal is, not
simply using postings on IMCs to promote their conservative ideology,
but to actively destroy the utility of IMCs to the progressive community
by discouraging legitimate readers, users, and posters.

The Ricky versus "Mr. Roberts" thing -- as Jack calls him, in his
predictably ambiguous way which is just one more tactical twist to his
dismissive view of anyone to the left of Bush -- that Jack's nymns have
been promoting has actually been going on for several months now. And
it's been going right down the memory hole, where such insubstantive
crap should be. It's tiresome bullshit intended for one purpose only --
to use COINTELPRO-like tactis to get progressives at each other's
throats, instead of going after the right

Recently, Steering authorized completely removing his postings from
public view, since his sole remaining purpose here was to get his crap
hidden and then bitch some more about "censorship." Due to technical
issues with Dada, hidden from the public in Dada does not always act
promptly or assuredly with all browsers, leaving stuff that is
justifiably hidden visible. So stuff of his tends to get deleted when
there is certainty that it is his. There has been discussion of this on
Web, also, and it is hopefully something that will be addressed in
future Dada updates.

Another technical issue is, now that Jack no longer has his usual venue
in the Hidden Files, is that his sole objective in continuing to post
what he knows will be hidden seems to be to create vast discrepancies
between the comment post count that is publicly visible on the mainpage
with the article headline and what readers see because of the crap of
his that was hidden underneath the article on its page. Again, if Dada
reflected an accurate count of legitimate posts, he would not have this
remaining incentive to crap on things here.

Other crap that is getting totally deleted are the recent surges of spam
advertising -- the hundreds of which make using the editors page
virtually untenable by diluting real content to the point of having to
search through pages of the spam to see the genuine posts. A total
delete of this spam makes using the editor screen viable again. Purged
as well is our old friend DAN Disinfo, who like Jack, seems perfectly
happy to create the appearance of a political issue by taking over the
Hidden section of this site as their own personal anti-IMC.

In reading this far, it is also important to point out that we have
ironclad proof from past incidents that Jack Ryan is reading this list,
so I won't go into the extensive list of correlative data that I use to
sort him out from legitimate posters here -- I would be glad to have an
F2F meeting of Web to review our policy, how I am applying it, and any
changes needed -- much of the stuff that might lead to questions, I have
printed out and kept notes on in order to explain exactly how I am
identifying him for just these sort of questions. Needless to say, he is
predictably clumsy and it is pretty much like shooting fish in a barrel
-- like all trolls, it's more about the game of a certain ego crapping
on people than about really being so totally stealthy as to actually not
be indentifiable.

We haven't heard a chorus of new posters complaining about being hidden
or deleted, so I think my accuracy has been close to 100% -- with the
failures being in stuff that very well might be his, but on which I
haven't collected enough data on yet to justify hiding yet. But this has
also meant that some of the discussions between those of us interested
in dealing with Jack has been F2F and that notes from the relevant
Steering meetings have been cryptic in order not to give Jack any of the
exploits of our openness that he has used in the past. Thus, you are
probably not aware of the extensive discussion this has generated and my
frequent contacts with people and Steering so that they are informed of
how this is being addressed.

I think your post actually stands very well on its own, even without the
context of the original troll that prompted it. People should hear
explanations of why candidates get news coverage on IMC -- because
someone like you was interested enough to do it. Any legitimate
complaints about this are likely to be prompted by a misunderstanding of
how Indymedia operates...we certainly don't have a newsroom with
reporters sitting at desks covering beats and just waiting to spring
into action. People need to be gently reminded -- like your post does
well -- that Indymedia does not operate on the dominant media model --
it's DIY media.

Again, I would be glad to revisit this in a public, but offline meeting.
But everyone that I have spoken with about this has been really happy
that Jack has been reduced to nothing more than a sporadic nuisance --
which is the best we can probably do while maintaining Open Publishing.
I really don't want to hand him back even a one inch tall soapbox for
him to abuse again by slacking off on the crackdown -- but I'm open to
ideas.
Mike Lehman