[Imc-tech] Re: [Imc-web] Deleted posts

Clint Popetz clint at cpopetz.com
Thu Feb 3 11:30:37 CST 2005

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 11:12:31AM -0600, Mike Lehman wrote:
> Hi Clint,
> I was the one who deleted the comment, which was made by "Jack Ryan" or
> whoever he was calling himself on that one.

I'm sorry, but in truth, you have no knowledge of who made that post.
This is all conjecture.  I respect the fact that you spend a lot of
time monitoring the newswire, but that doesn't give you powers of
divination.

> Recently, Steering authorized completely removing his postings from
> public view, since his sole remaining purpose here was to get his crap
> hidden and then bitch some more about "censorship."

How can steering authorize removing postings from a single person
when we have no reliable way of identifying people on the newswire?

> Due to technical issues with Dada, hidden from the public in Dada
> does not always act promptly or assuredly with all browsers, leaving
> stuff that is justifiably hidden visible. So stuff of his tends to
> get deleted when there is certainty that it is his.

There is never certainty that a posting belongs to anyone with this
software.

> We haven't heard a chorus of new posters complaining about being hidden
> or deleted, so I think my accuracy has been close to 100%

That seems like a shaky conclusion.  How many people post and then
come back to make sure there post is visible days later?  Of those
that do, how many complain?

> I think your post actually stands very well on its own, even without
> the context of the original troll that prompted it.

It made more sense with the original post.

And all of this misses the point.  Deleting someones posts because of
who they are and not because of their content seems out of line with
our philosophy.  I'm here right now saying "this post that was deleted
had worth" and you're saying "it was a troll" and I think that this
reveals that _everyone_ has different standards as to what should be
on the newswire, and that's why I favor having multiple people approve
hiding posts.

			-Clint