[Imc-tech] computer to donate

Arun Bhalla bhalla at uiuc.edu
Mon Mar 28 14:07:57 CST 2005

Sascha Meinrath writes:
> > ivo reynolds writes:
> >> I have an older Compaq Presario 5660 and monitor that
> >> I don't need. Can you use it? If so, where should I
> >> take it?
> >
> > Along similar lines, I have an Athlon/700 with ASUS K7M motherboard and
> > 640MB of RAM to spare.  It was highly functional at the end of November
> > when an upgrade replaced it.  Would any PC at the IMC benefit from this
> > equipment?
>
> the public computer would definitely benefit -- we could also use another
> 1-2 computers for the general public.  right now the main concern is disk
> storage -- dewey is dying as is the staffing computer.  we are in
> desperate need of new disk drives for both.

If that's the case, we could probably use Boyd's Compaq Presario 5660, too.
As far as I can tell, it's be a Pentium II/450.

For reference, the Pentium II/450 chip was released around mid 1998.
I purchased the Athlon 700 in 2000.

Unfortunately I don't have any hard drives to spare.  I could free up an
8GB hard drive, but it's 7-8 years old, so it probably wouldn't have much
life left.

Arun