[Imc-tech] Internet Service at the PO Building

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Thu May 26 09:54:20 CDT 2005

When Zach was checking out what could be done with the phone system at
the PO on Wednesday, we discussed the situation with internet service.
His recommendation was to get it via cable for the time being.

The reason for this is the problems that DSL lines seem to always have
when first set-up in town. I can vouch for that, as it took almost a
year for mine to settle down after it was first installed after many
frustrating experiences.

I checked pricing with Insight this morning. Monthly service for a
business (there is no provision for non-profits) is $99.95/month. There
is an installation fee of $149.95. Installation is currently taking 3 to
4 business days after it is ordered.

I enquired into bulk internet service for tenants. The representative
indicated I would have to talk with her supervisor for more details. If
we still want to pursue that, I'll follow-up later. It sounds like it
may be pricy, so including internet service in the amenities we'll
provide to tenants initially is probably something we should discuss
more before we commit to that.

It would be good if I can schedule installation with Insight by tomorrow
(Friday) so that we can hope to have internet service at the new IMC
around the end of next week, so please give me your thoughts. The Space
group has approved moving forward with this, assuming it passes muster
with Tech. I'm cc-ing them in case the cost causes any reconsideration.

I just wanted to run this by the Tech people before we committed. Please
suggest other options if they appear to be more viable than this one and
any other concerns you might have. I really hate to feed Insight, but I
think we're stuck until wireless arrives in bulk in downtown. We
definitely need internet service ASAP at the new IMC to encourage
staffing -- the lack of internet at the old IMC this year has been a big
handicap to that.
Mike Lehman