[IMC-Tech] SMTP woes

Zachary C. Miller zach at chambana.net
Tue Apr 25 00:33:05 CDT 2006

I have added this line to our postfix config:

relayhost = [mail.insightbb.com]

Theoretically this means that our email should now get past that black
hole list.

But there's another problem. We now can only send TWO (2) outgoing
emails at a time.

(host mail.insightbb.com[63.240.76.151] refused to talk to me: 450 12.221.92.161 has too many connections ( 2 ) on sccimhc91)

The mail queue is slowly emptying out but during a higher traffic time
like during the day, our users might send emails faster than this
limitted server will allow and we'll get emails piling up and terribly
delayed.

If there is a "business class" Insight SMTP relay that we can use
instead of the general Insight one that I used above, someone please
let me know.

This is going to destroy us on the first of the month. So I guess I
will finally really have to turn off the password reminders even
though anti-spam guidelines say that we should send those out (it may
be grounds for us ending up on a different blackhole list if we don't
send them).

We REALLY need to get a static IP address. A static IP address that is
registered as such in WHOIS and with a provider that gives us proper
reverse DNS entries. This is the only way to ensure that all our mail
will go through and that it won't be bottlenecked by someone eleses
server.

I really think that even as we're negotiating with Insight, we need to
be looking at other more professional truely-business-oriented
providers. As I've said before, if we went with Speakeasy this would
all be a no-brainer.

--
Zachary C. Miller - @= - http://zach.chambana.net/