[IMC-Tech] Re: [UCIMC-Finance] Fwd: Purchase Confirmation

Jay Schubert jay.schubert at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 14:13:05 CDT 2006

Dan,

I'd like to start by saying that I really appreciate the work you and the
tech group do and I don't mean any disrespect, because I know that we do
what we can with what we have and there aren't quite enough people in tech
these days to get it all done.  Also, I think that offering free web hosting
to working groups and the community organizations that members belong to is
great.

Unfortunately, the reasons that we chose to buy hosting from a third party
have been persistent over the past year and have been getting considerably
worse recently.  As you may know, we run a homegrown application which is
critical to our operation, and if it doesn't work, we end up with as many as
seven to ten volunteers who can't work during their weekly shift.  There
have been many instances recently when this has occurred, though we could
still access the internet from our room.  Also, when I've explained my
concerns to the tech list about the inconvenience presented by bouncing
apache every hour and and received a response indicating that it would be
this way indefinitely, coupled with the slow performance and regular
unavailability of our (and the IMC's) web site, it was a choice we had to
make so that our working group could continue to function effectively.

Believe me when I say, I would much rather use an IMC resource than pay a
third party for the same thing, which is why we have only committed to one
year of hosting.  However, so far the new web host has proven to not be the
same thing; in fact our application runs significantly faster in its new
environment.  I really do hope that when our contract expires with
ipowerweb, chambana.net will be in better shape and that we can comfortably
migrate back to it.

Respectfully,

- Jay

--