[IMC-Tech] System time problem

Gary Cziko g-cziko at uiuc.edu
Tue Aug 15 22:01:00 CDT 2006

IMC Techies:

The WRFU automation computer (SW corner of production room) keeps moving
ahead two minutes which is causing problems for our automated operation.

It is an XP machine and I have selected the Date and Time control panel
option to automatically synchronize using the Internet time server
time.windows.gov which is apparently does every seven days. I am also able
to do a manual synchronization, and the time is reset correctly when I do
this.  But then in a day or so the system time is two minutes fast again.

Any ideas what is going on? Is it perhaps that we have a network time server
that is off by two minutes which takes priority over the Internet time
synch? I read in a help file:

> If your computer is a member of a domain<HELP=glossary.hlp%20TOPIC=gls_domain>,
> your computer clock is probably synchronized automatically by a network time
> server <HELP=glossary.hlp%20TOPIC=time_server>. If your computer is not a
> member of a domain, you can synchronize your computer clock with an Internet
> time server.

I would sure like to solve this problem and get our automation in synch with
station IDs at the top of each hour rather than two minutes early.

--Gary