[IMC-Tech] System time problem

Zach M leftistmuppet at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 11:36:33 CDT 2006

Any time syncing program that only syncs every 7 days is pretty
worthless. It sounds like you have a bad clock in that computer and to
compensate for it you ought to resync to a network time server several
times per day. A good NTP client keeps constantly in sync with a
network of NTP servers and also tracks local clock drift to adjust for
a bad clock even between updates from the servers. Windows XP's client
doesn't seem to be doing this by default.

You might investigate whether the CMOS battery in your computer needs
to be replaced. Sometimes a low CMOS battery can cause clock drift
problems. If the motherboard is more than 5 years old the battery
might be dying.

I've always found Automachron to be a good useful NTP client (though
it's getting pretty stale since the last version update):
http://www.oneguycoding.com/automachron/

I can't find an obvious answer from google as to how to change the
update interval for windows XP's built in NTP client. I'd suggest
first searching around for a way to tweak that and then if you can't
figure that out searching for a good open source NTP client.