[IMC-Tech] root access to groogroo

Zachary C. Miller zach at chambana.net
Thu Jul 6 10:52:04 CDT 2006

Someone should put the following into a useful wiki like the one at
tech.chambana.net.

imsahp itself is the master for chambana.net DNS. You can see this by
looking up the IP address for ns.chambana.net.

All the domain stuff is at /var/named/chambana.net/

Most domain files are generated by a script from the list of domains
at /var/named/chambana.net/domains. The script is "update_db.pl" and
it generates zone files in db_auto and a named.conf configuration at
master.chambana.net.named.conf and slave.chambana.net.named.conf.

If you want to manually configure some domains to do something other
than the template then  remove the domain from the file "domains" and
put a configuration in db_manual and addit to
master.chambana.net.named.conf.manual and
slave.chambana.net.named.conf.manual. THe
slave.chambana.net.named.conf.manual file has to be copied to our DNS
secondary (currently OJC's che) when it gets editted.

For most domains you do not need to manually configure because
*.domain.com points to imsahp. This means you just need to set up the
name based virtual server in apache for whatever name you want to use.
There doesn't need to be a DNS record for it. The only time you need
to do a manual domain configuration is if something in the domain
doesn't point to imsahp. It is best to avoid manually configuring
domains because that's one more thing to edit when our IP address
changes.

If you want to change TTL or other SOA values for manually configured
domains, just change them in the update_db.pl script and re-run it.
Then don't forget to restart named.