[IMC-Tech] "crow" email list.

Zachary C. Miller zach at chambana.net
Tue Jun 13 23:52:09 CDT 2006

Who created the "crow" mailman email lists on chambana.net?

The subscribers to this list were as follows:
c-bee1 at itg.uiuc.edu
carl at newsfromneptune.com
recotton at earthlink.net

It was listed in /etc/aliases as being a "weft" list which is not the case.

Representatives of WEFT have informed me that they did not authorize
the creation of this list or it's use under their domain. Apparently
the list was being advertised as crow at weft.org.

Our system is extremely open because it is configured on the basis of
users respecting the boundaries of other organizations that share the
system. There is a cooperative strategy of respect. Rather than set up
a lot of firewalls between clients we've got things pretty wide open.
This list was clearly an abuse of this leniency.

If someone (presumably Randall Cotton) is paying chambana.net for the
right to have an email list on the server then he must advertise it as
being from @lists.chambana.net OR
@somedomainthatheowns.whatever....NOT as @weft.org. Only duly
appointed WEFT representatives should be using an @weft.org address.
If no one was paying for (or at least agreed and contracted to pay)
this mailing list then it shouldn't have been created.

The archives of the list have not been deleted and the list can be
recreated once we straighten out the policy issues. I have removed the
list from /etc/aliases and run rmlist on it.

When new lists are created, the creator of the list should report
creation of new lists  to imc-tech. I do not believe that happened in
this case.

It would be great if someone could look into how to set up virtual
domains for mailman/postfix so that we can close the possibility of
this kind of cross-domain address usage. It is definitely quite
doable, just one more thing I don't have time to take care of.

I'm eager to learn the details of this story.