[IMC-Tech] Re: "crow" email list.

Randall Cotton recotton at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 15 17:44:39 CDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Zachary C. Miller" <zach at chambana.net>
To: "Randall Cotton" <recotton at earthlink.net>
Cc: <imc-tech at ucimc.org>; <c-bee1 at itg.uiuc.edu>; <carl at newsfromneptune.com>;
"Jeff Nicholson-Owens" <jbn at forestfield.org>; "Linda Evans"
<veganlinda at yahoo.com>; "Dawn Owens-Nicholson" <bluemoon at ad.uiuc.edu>; "May Kao
Xiong" <maykaoxiong at illinoisalumni.org>; "Yanni Tziligakis" <tziligak at uiuc.edu>
Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2006 3:46 PM
Subject: Re: "crow" email list.

: I disabled the list because it was the opinion of the station manager
: and the chair of the board that the list was not an official weft list
: and that the lists use of the weft.org domain constituted an abuse of
: that domain.

OK, that's clear enough (and not entirely unexpected 8-)

: Until/unless WEFT appoints an official liason to chambana.net (a role
: formerly served by Euan on behalf of the PR committee on behalf of the
: associates, a role eventually passed on to Jason P but from which he
: resigned), the word of the station manager and/or the chair of the
: board is the word that dictates what is official. If you don't think
: that's appropriate then perhaps that is a reform of WEFT that you can
: work for.

Well said 8-)

: There's no problem with you having your crow email list on
: chambana.net. But you have to sign a contract to pay $30/year for it
: just like any other independent organization (or make other
: arrangements with the tech group)

Is that what WEFT pays? I actually wasn't aware that WEFT paid anything. I never
saw any mention of it when I was on the WEFT Board, for instance, but that
actually isn't saying  much. What are the terms of WEFT's arrangement?

 and you have to host it under either
: lists.chambana.net or your own personal domain or you have to get weft
: to formally sanction the creation of the list. If you were a comittee
: chair or the designee of a committee chair of a formally sanctioned
: WEFT committee then you could probably use weft.org (again though,
: this is up to WEFT policy, not chambana.net policy).  To my knowledge
: the CROW committee is not a formally recognized committee of the
: associates or of the board. If crow is a committee of AWARE, and AWARE
: is in good standing with chambana.net, then AWARE can pay an
: additional $10/month to add an additional email list. Things with
: billing are very much in flux/limbo right now but we do expect that
: cooperative users of the service understand that they need to
: financially support the server.

Just to clarify and reiterate, CROW is not a committee or working group or
otherwise affiliated with AWARE, though some AWARE members are in CROW.

: http://hosting.chambana.net/agreement.html
:
: If the station manager had told me that the weft-eng list was
: inappropriate, I would have disabled it. If you believe the station
: manager is overstepping authority that's an internal matter for WEFT
: to deal with, not for chambana.net to deal with.
:
: It is our naming standard that all lists actually related to WEFT
: start with the word "weft". All lists actually related to the
: prairiegreens start with "prairiegreens". All lists actually related
: to AWARE start with "peace" or "aware".
:
: In the past I've been keenly aware of who has authority in each
: organization to request changes to the service. Dan doesn't have my
: long term involvement with these organizations, so we'll probably have
: to work on formalizing relationships and this will happen in time. In
: the mean time, we're all just going to have to deal with things being
: a little ill defined and mushy for a while and do our best to get
: along. And, there's plenty of other hosting providers in the sea!

Thanks you, Zach, for all the info and the time you spent putting this together.
Much appreciated 8-)

: