[IMC-Tech] DDoS maybe thwarted

Zachary C. Miller zach at chambana.net
Wed Mar 1 19:38:32 CST 2006

I think I've got us out of the woods from today's DDoS attack. Even
though most of these spammers had their comments blocked by our
software, the high pace of attempting to post comments was bogging
down the server anyway.

Using these commands:

grep "scumbag/mt/mt-comment" /var/log/apache/ucimc-full-access.log | cut -d" " -f1 | perl -e 'while(<>) { chomp; $count{$_}++ }; print "$count{$_} $_\n" foreach sort keys %count' | sort -n | tail -100 | cut -d" " -f2

grep "POST /newswire/update/index.php" /var/log/apache/ucimc-full-access.log | cut -d" " -f1 | perl -e 'while(<>) { chomp; $count{$_}++ }; print "$count{$_} $_\n" foreach sort keys %count' | sort -n | tail -100 | cut -d" " -f2

I identified the top 100 IP addresses that were flooding our site with
requests today for each of two different points of entry. (The
scumbag/mt one doesn't actually even exist, he moved his site off our
server a while ago but lots of zombies still attempt to post spam
there and it's a good way to detect them to look for requests to that
non-existant script. I've noticed that a lot of the zombies attacking
that script ALSO attack ucimc.org and saschameinrath.com so finding
them in one place knocks them out in the others.)

I looked at whois and DNS PTR information for all of these IP
addresses, determined that none of them were local and banned them
all. These are all IPs tried to post 10 or more comments to our
newswire just today alone.

The IPs that I banned are:

12.6.56.178
129.109.210.6