[IMC-Tech] Public Access Computing at the IMC

Gary Cziko g-cziko at uiuc.edu
Fri Mar 10 09:27:30 CST 2006

All:

I would like to find out about plans to provide public access computing and
Internet access at the UCIMC.

This list has not been very active and I haven't seen any notices of
meetings, so I am sending elicit information.

My interest in this stems primarily from my recent discovery of Ubuntu and
Edubuntu. I am not an experienced Linux user or computing or network expert,
but I have been very impressed with Edubuntu (the educational version of
Ubuntu) which I have now installed on a P3 box in my campus office that I
can access there or anywhere via VNC.

I was also able to get Edubuntu installed on a rolling cart of eight older
laptops (with WiFi) at the College of Education (where I am an professor of
educational psychology) and we will be putting Edubuntu on four computing
stations in the basement corridor of the Education Building.

My limited experience with Edubuntu has opened my eyes of the power of open
source software and what can be done with older, computers. I would
particularly like to gain some experience with a thin-client network (see
https://wiki.edubuntu.org/ThinClientHowto)  that could use older computers
(such as the 333 MHz P3 I delivered to the IMC last night) and am wondering
if such a system could be set up at the IMC both to allow public access
computing and as a demonstration for how schools and other  organizations
with limited resources both in the U.S. and abroad could use recycled and
donated equipment to provide computer and Internet access.

I look forward to learning about the  IMC's plans for providing computing
access and perhaps being a part of this effort.

--Gary