[IMC-Tech] Operating system

Gary Cziko g-cziko at uiuc.edu
Fri Mar 10 10:35:12 CST 2006

All:

Do I notice a groundswell for open source and Ubuntu?

If we want this computer to be used by families and young people, I would
recommend Edubuntu.  It is the same as Ubuntu plus a large  number of
educational programs and games that I've been having fund with (Stéphane,
have you used any of these with your son, Paul?).

--Gary

On 3/10/06, Stephane Alnet <stephane at shimaore.net> wrote:

> Bob,
>
> > I suspect Windows on the library computer, just because people
> > will be used to the text-editing facilities on Windows.
>
> I suspect Ubuntu contains OpenOffice.org, an open-source office suite
> (text/ spreadsheet/ etc.) that closely matches MS Office.
> S. (putting his Open-Source Advocate hat on for one second)

Gary Cziko
Professor
Educational Psychology & English as an International Language
University of Illinois
1310 S. Sixth Street
210F Education Building
Champaign, IL 61820-6990
USA

Telephone +1-217-333-8527
Fax: +1-217-244-7620
e-mail: g-cziko at uiuc.edu
Web: http://garycziko.net
Gizmo Project: GaryJazz (http://www.gizmoproject.com)
Skype: garyjazz (http://www.skype.com)
Google Talk: gcziko
Jabber: GaryJazz at chat.gizmoproject.com
Amateur Radio: N9MJZ (IRLP 4280; EchoLink 8231);

Founder, Station Manager, Program Director, Chief Engineer and Announcer
The Latino Radio Service of La Casa Cultural Latina
1660 AM on the Urbana-Champaign campus of the University of Illinois
(http://latinoradioservice.org)